Dandelion Jam recipe

Mrs Powell's Dandelion Jam


You will need:

222 dandelion flowers (approx) ~ just the yellow petals, no green bits!
1 pear
1 orange
2 lemons
2 pints of water

Dandelion petals.



What to do.....

1. Place the petals of 200 dandelions in a pan
2. Chop the pear and put it in the pan
3. Juice the orange and lemons and put in the pan along with the grated rind



4. Add 2 pints of water
5. Boil for 10 minutes (approx) ~ mashing with a potato masher intermediately


6. Allow to cool a little and then strain through a sieve, squishing to get all the liquid out
7. Return the liquid to the pan (I topped it up to 2 pints with water)
8. Add a bag of jam sugar ** and the petal from a few more dandelions 

Be careful, it can get a bit feisty!!


9. Slowly bring to the boil stirring and then rolling boil until setting point is reached

Look what I found to help measure the jam temperature ~ it used to belong to my Great Uncle

10. Pot and leave to set.


Mrs Powell's delicious dandelion jam!


** I have been experimenting with less sugar 2/3 a bag of sugar still tastes delicious but produces slightly less jam.


This recipe makes about 3 medium jam jars.

 
I am linking up with The Prairie Homestead Barn Hop
 http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Barn-Hop.jpg

Comments

  1. Oooo yum yum.
    200 flowers approx... blimey, better get going now!!
    Thanks for posting this, am going to give it a go...
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wont take you long Jules if you can find a dry day! I found it easier to separate the petals the day after I had picked the flowers, when they had closed up a little. Good luck ~ it is worth it! :o)

      Delete
  2. OOohhhh. Love it!! (1) I have the goods (2) I have children (3) they need extra help counting up that high. win win win :D

    Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Kerimae ~ it is worth it, it's delicious! <3

      Delete
  3. Emily, this is just wonderful! I am wondering and thinking I can try lavender jam, as I do not have any dandelions. Whatcha think? I am SO inspired by this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Kids in the Kitchen. Hope to see you again next Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Carrie ~ I have never made lavender jam, but it sounds like it would be delicious. I saw this recipe for violet jam a while ago and would love to make it, but we have no violets here, I will have to grow some next year. The recipe is from Homestead Survival:
    http://homesteadsurvival.blogspot.com/2012/04/foraged-violet-jelly-httpwww.html
    Please let me know how the lavender jam turns out, Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it . cant wait to have a go thank you .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts